3.30.2011

How to Get Your Child Away From The Computer to Join the Outside World

3/28/2011

How to get your child away from the computer and into the outside world?

You are a parent and you work 5 days a week at home plugged into your computer and on the phone all day leaving messages for clients who do not pick up their phones. When Saturday comes the last thing I want to do is stay home and be on my computer. So I decide to ask my son out to the park. First of all my son gets up bright and early on a Saturday and proceeds to turn on his computer to go to the site http://www.clubpenguin.com/; an ad-free, virtual world where children could play games, have fun and interact. How can I beat that right? So of course the answer to going to the park is "No Mom". Do you want to watch a movie with me? No. Hey, let's grab a pizza? He's not hungry...we have food at home anyway. I try to teach him a dance move. "Please stop Mom...you are distracting me!. What! I'm distracting him? Ok so I begin to talk to him now as an adult and tell him that's it been a while since Mom went out on a date and how he is my number 1 priority and if I ever were to go out on a date it would be with him because he is the man of the house and my number one little man. My son turned to me and said "I'm the man of the house?". We can go out on a date? I said yes that moms and their boys go out on dates all the time. "Just me and you?" he says. Yep.....I said "Just me and you my love". So that night we went out for sushi (his favorite) and we called it "A Date". How proud was he telling his friends Monday morning that he went out on a date with his Mom and that I called him the man of the house. I noticed that my son was growing up and as long as I treated him like a little adult rather than a little boy his reaction was different. I have to translate a day at the park as a date at the park. We have been going out on "dates" ever since. Never knew that language was so important to a little kid and that it makes all the difference when you phrase things a certain way to your child. He is my best friend now. "Never dictate your child in front of guests. Treat him or her as an adult. The child is an individual and you should help him/her develop their own individuality,” said Shobha Mathur, a Delhi-based expert, while warning parents against scolding their children in front of strangers...She said: “Each child varies from the other on the basis of the proportion of intelligence levels.”

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/treat-your-child-as-an-adult/392247/. It worked for me and I hope it works for you. Take your child on a date today.

No comments:

Post a Comment