3.31.2011

Dress Code and Monitoring Our Kids Clothing Attire for School

Are parents monitoring their kids clothing attire for school?

I understand that children now start working as young as 14 whether it be babysitting, a grocery store or a movie theatre but that doesn't mean that you can't monitor what clothes they buy to wear to school. I know there is constant peer pressure to compete in school but our children are maturing quickly these days, especially our young girls. Granted I do not have a daughter; YET! However, I was a stepmom once and if I did have a young daughter, believe you me I will not allow her to step out of the house with clothing that is going to turn heads. Being a stepmom wasn't easy. I had to constantly observe a 15 year old girl wear daisy dukes shorts to go to the store or around the corner and tight T-shirts to go with it. Not a good look for a young girl no matter how cute you think it is. The dad. Let's just say he had no control over his kids whatsoever. I offered my opinion but ultimately could not control the situation.

If your children are not working and you are in charge of purchasing their wardrobe then you need to evaluate what you are buying and see how it looks on your kid before you actually buy. Also, what is the deal with the young boys and their pants on the floor? Please parents, this is not cute by any means or stylish. Yes, it may be that they are leaving your house dressed appropriately but something tells me that you know very well what is happening. Please comment! I may be wrong. I'm a parent so I have every right to start this discussion but I know many people who are not parents yet who will not accept a certain dress code for their child. It is your problem and our children, especially girls, need to monitored on all levels. Why do some parents feel like they have to cater to their childs every need. I saw the other day a mother buying her daughter a pair of thongs. Yes! a pair of thongs just because SHE wanted them. What did she do? She bought them in 3 different colors for her. The girl may have been about 13 or 14. I just had to walk away. Are parents so enveloped in their own lives that they don't SEE a problem with it or even care? Or do they think that it's just innocent, stylish wear? Let's look at the clothes on them before we buy them. I came across this really cool virtual wardrobe site. Check it out and please comment!

http://www.ukhairdressers.com/wardrobe2/index.asp

2 comments:

  1. For this same reason is why I have ALWAYS chosen a school for my baby girl that mandates wearing UNIFORMS that way she concentrates more on her school work that on what everyone is wearing... THONG on a 13 0r 14 yr old, let me at her mom so I could smack some sense into her!!! lol... My daughter is 17 and still does NOT wear a thong, when an outfit requires it them maybe but then again there are seamless panties. I just think some parents don't care and that's a damn shame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes DivaLatina! For some parents it's too stressful for them to care and take action. So many parents work and have stressful careers that they don't even have time to check their kids homework let alone observe what they are wearing in school. I can't blame these kids then because no one is teaching them appropriate behavior and how to dress. The worst part is that some of these parents dress the same way. Very sad indeed!

    ReplyDelete