4.04.2011

Literature - A Powerful Vehicle for Our Children..."Snooki"?

Everyone by now must have heard the controversy regarding Rutgers University student committee paying $32,000 for "Nicole Polizzi AKA "Snooki" to give a speech on campus, $2000 more than Toni Morrison. Toni Morrison born Chloe Anthony Wofford made her debut as a novelist in 1970, soon gaining the attention of both critics and a wider audience for her epic power, unerring ear for dialogue, and her poetically-charged and richly-expressive depictions of Black America. Please read more about her biography below:

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/1993/morrison-bio.html

I could not believe what I was hearing at first. I remember I had to read several of her novels back in college. It was a prerequisite in my English Literature courses. In 1993, Toni Morrison received the Nobel Prize in Literature. She was the eigth woman and the first black woman to do so. "Snooki" worth more than Toni? I'm appalled and ashamed that a University would allow and approve this. I know they are trying to defend their decision but I'm sorry I really don't want to hear it. One parent said it best "It's disgusting". "Snooki"? who was charged once for "disturing the peace" and was sentenced to do community service and was asked to pay a fine of $500? Do I really want to hear anything that she has to say let alone listen to a speech from her? How sad for a group of students to think that having "Snooki" on their campus is a positive thing. I guess having a Nobel Prize winner is not enough. Whatever "Snooki" has to say must be more important? I would really love to see her speech on YouTube. I can't wait.

Let's just go back to the importance of Literature for our children. The impressions and messages contained in the novels that we read by authors such as Toni Morrison truly does last a lifetime. We should buy more books for our children about people of color, people who are gay and lesbian or people with physical and mental disabilities. Maybe we will have less of the bullying and more communities that support each other. We as parents have the responsibility to make sure this is available to them. I'm afraid the problem is some parents are racist, sexist and anti-gay and are teaching their kids the same behaviors. That's why teachers and professors are second in line to teach our children and educate them about tolerance.

The only thing I could find about "Snooki" that she can actually speak about and give advice on would be about eating disorders and how she suffered from it in High School. Other than that I give her a thumbs down for everything else. I say if you ever have the chance to become a celebrity take advantage and pursue something positive, give back and above all be an inspiration to those younger than you.

I'm sharing an article I read below that speaks about the importance of Literature.

http://www.life123.com/parenting/education/children-reading/importance-of-literature.shtml

I look forward to your feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment